Poison by Christian Dior


For the last few months I've been reminiscing about Poison Perfume by Christian Dior. It was the very first perfume I ever owned. How I obtained it was an interesting story. 

I grew up in the lower eastside in Manhattan and we lived right down the block from Tompkins square park. As a kid I was often allowed to go to the park alone.
 One morning I went to the park and while playing I came across a well worn velvet clutch style purse. It was left in a slightly out of the way part of the park up against a fence. 
I being a pretty bored kid picked it up and since nobody was around I walked off with it. I just wanted to know what was inside. To a kid as young as me it was pretty exciting to find such a grownup item. I opened it up and inside was a more then 70% full bottle of Poison perfume and a pair of panties which I quickly threw out! A half used red lipstick which I threw away, and a handful of unopened condoms! Which I threw away. 
The perfume I kept! I always thought the purse must have belonged to a prostitute because of some of the items I found in it, lol. It wasn't till I got older and thought about it and thought maybe it belonged to a woman out clubbing or partying. 

The perfume I remembered smelled a little like grape candy and sweet dark fruits mixed with honey and flowers.  

I didn't get any more poison perfume until many years later when I was at a yard sale and some lady was selling the unopened body powder and body lotion for $5 I didn't realize what an amazing deal I got till recently around my Birthday I started looking online for it and a bottle of the vintage poison from 1985 lotion will set you back $250
 I was lucky enough to find the original perfume, lotion and powder from 1985 but I paid dearly for the set. I did a bunch of research before buying anything first. I didn't know but the poison that is carried by SEPHORA isn't the original. I read somewhere that they changed the ingredients around twice in the last few years. Once in 1990 and I believe again after 2001.  

I read it can be spotted a few ways. One is the address

BEFORE 1990-91 Christian Dior had the following address: 
"30 Avenue Hoche, Paris".

AFTER 1990-91, the address moved to: 
"33 Avenue Hoche, Paris" .

In other words: the number changes from 30 to 33.

If -on the box or on the bottom of the bottle- you can read the address "number 30", the scent probably is “before 1991”
But if you read the "number 33", it's probably is “after 2001
Another way is The logo itself. 
Since year 2001 the logo on the front of the box, on certain perfumes, began to switch from " Christian Dior " to simply "Dior"

I still may buy a bottle from SEPHORA just to see how the updated version measures up! 

Comments

Popular Posts