From Video Game Making To Perfuming


Welcome to my first post about perfume! 

Starting a blog about perfuming was kind of my homework assignment(I'll get to that in a second) I first got interested in making perfume back in 2011. My sister was already making perfume and I expressed an interest in making it so she promptly sent me a box full of goodies from her at home perfume studio. 
These were just a few of the things she sent me. Sad to say I never followed through on making any perfumes. Had so many things going on at the time. I was moving and had a lot of projects I was already working on, along with work. It just never happened. 



All these year later something sparked an interest in me to revisit the possibility to perhaps experiment with making my own finally. I started following this very knowledgeable Youtuber who's first homework assignment for me was to start a blog about all things perfume related. 
So here we are!. I've been collecting all this fun materials to discuss with you guys and In future blogs we will explore classes in perfuming. Also I will discuss books and videos I've found. 
I will also discuss where to buy supplies and perfume of the month boxes with a twist
I'll discuss perfume recipes and you can learn along with me as I make some of my own perfumes for the first time! 

Today for my first post I want to discuss a somewhat new perfume brand that I just found out about this morning! I was barely awake, still in a bit of a hazy drinking my coffee when I came across Zoologist!- Yep, that is the name of Victor Wong's perfume brand! The name grabbed my attention right away. He makes the perfumes based off what I believe how one might perceive certain animals to smell like. I never heard of anything like it before the concept really intrigued me. What I really loved was the packaging! I am a sucker for packaging. I went to the zoologist website and fell in love with the Moth, it was the first one to jump out at me.  I couldn't help myself I bought a little sample bottle of Moth for $6



You can see the packaging is amazing! And checkout the  description from the website- Their days are spent secluded in camouflage, the intricate pattern of their wings disguising them against a coarse backdrop of barks and rocks. When they finally stir, even their flight is concealed, shrouded beneath the cover of night. Moonlight ripples off a delicate coating of tiny hairs as their feathered antennae guide them in their search for a mate. Only one temptation can lure them from their quest. Should they succumb to the attraction of the flame, their urge to procreate may be quashed in a wisp of smoke and a smattering of ashes. At first encounter, the rich, gothic scent of Zoologist Moth may surprise but soon it hypnotizes. A heavy dose of dark spices jolts your senses before settling into a dusting of honey-sweet rose and powdery florals. Slowly, it tests its wings, taking flight on an exotic journey of nagarmotha, guaiac wood and patchouli. Beneath it all lingers a smoky undertone that serves as a constant reminder of the danger within the tantalizing flame. 
After reading that, I was like ok, I have to have this! Some of the notes are ones I wouldn't think I'd necessarily gravitate towards. Like a few of the top notes are Black Pepper-Cumin and Saffron There are other top notes but those were ones that made me pause!~ The Base Notes are Ambergris*, Honey*, Resins, Guaiac Wood, Musk*, Nagarmotha, Oud, Patchouli, Smoke, Vetiver~ Musk I'm not a big fan of in less it's in small amounts so I'm hoping that note won't be overwhelming.  

Back to the packaging! all the bottle designs were just amazing. I guess because I am an artist that anytime someone creates a perfume with a rocking packaging I flip out! There are a few I would like to buy samples of to test out., but the moth was the one I felt an immediate connection to-  


I also really loved this guys back story. He was a video game 3D modeler who started making perfume as a hobby in 2013. He said he basically changed careers after 40. I was floored because most of the time were told we can't change careers / our lives after 40 yrs old, so I found that very inspiring! I don't think older people making life changes are celebrated or talked about enough in our society, so I'd like to do that in more of my future post!. For now I will go have a cup of coffee and enjoy this rainy fall weather. I just got a small package in from one of my favorite perfume makers For Strange Woman~ so I think next time we will discuss what I got and talk more about them. Till then~








Comments

Popular Posts